Please note that The Ian Potter Foundation:
- Focuses on major new developments within a university or research institute
- Does not provide funding for projects or items of equipment that might be funded internally or by a Government agency such as the NH&MRC or the ARC
- Has a number of general exclusions
- Refer to Eligibility section with specific funding areas (What We Support) or under How to Apply for a Grant for the full list of general exclusions
- Has specific exclusions for some program areas. Refer to Exclusions in the area of interest.
Depending on which program area you are applying to you may complete a two-stage process (EOI then invited application) or a single-stage application.
A two-stage application process is in place for these funding areas:
- Community Wellbeing
- Early Childhood Development
- Public Health Research Projects
Stage 1: complete an Expression of Interest (EOI)
EOI submissions will be assessed and applicants notified by email within 10 business days as to whether the project will or won't progress to full application.
Stage 1 EOIs must be submitted online by 5:00 pm (AEST) on the closing date.
Where possible, proposals should be submitted earlier than the cut-off date to receive a quicker response, therefore, if you are invited to Stage 2 this will give you additional time to complete the application.
Stage 2: Application by invitation
If you are invited to submit a full application the Program Manager will notify you by email and cc your university’s Research Office primary contact. Your application must be submitted in conjunction with the Research Office contact who will assist you to complete the application. You will need to provide them with access to your application, i.e. the login details (email and password) used to set up the account in our online system. It is recommended that the password used is one that the applicant is happy to share with the Research Office contact.
You will have approximately five weeks to complete and submit the application and requirements online.
A single-stage application process is in place for these program areas:
• Medical Research
All single stage applications must be submitted in conjunction with the Research or Grants Office.
The Foundation works with a specific contact person in each university Research Office. Applicants/researchers need to work with this contact to complete an application. Applicants must provide the university Research Office contact with the login details (email and password) used to set up the account in our online system. It is recommended that the password used is one that the applicant is happy to share with the Research Office contact.
As applicable, a letter from the CEO or equivalent person and a ranking letter must be provided separately to the online application. Please email them as instructed in the online application form. The application and requirements must all be submitted by 5:00 pm (AEDST) on the closing date.
The Research Office is required to provide by email:
A letter stating why the project/research is a priority for the institution as a whole and ranking all applications in order of priority within each funding area.
- A letter from the University Vice-Chancellor or Deputy Vice-Chancellor Research attesting to the value of each application to the organisation.
All applications must be received by 5:00 pm (AEDST) on the closing date.
• A scanned, recent print-out of your university's details from the Australian Business Register and uploaded as an attachment to the online application.
• A Declaration signed and dated by the director of the research institute or other signatory as specified. It should be scanned and uploaded as an attachment. Click here to download the Declaration.
• Research grant applications must be signed by the Head or Director of a Research Institute, the Deputy Vice-Chancellor of Research or equivalent office holder of a University.
• Non-research grant applications must be signed by the Vice-Chancellor of the University or the Head or Director of the Research Institute.
The application and requirements must be submitted online.
You must allow enough time for your Research Office to complete the additional requirements, which must be emailed to the Foundation as per the instructions in the online form by 5:00 pm (AEDST) on the closing date.
Note: If further information is needed in the review of your project you may be contacted prior to the Board Meeting at which the grant request is to be considered.
Notification of Outcome
Both the research office contact and the applicant/researcher should receive notification of the outcome of the application by mail within three months of the funding round closing date.